Strike hits transport, banking in Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Transport and banking services
were hit in Punjab, Chandigarh and Haryana today in the wake
of the day-long strike called by major trade unions against
the "anti-labour" policies of the Centre.
Buses on several routes remained off the road in Punjab,
Haryana and Chandigarh.
"We have 20-30 per cent impact on public transport
services in Haryana because of the strike....the services are
hampered in Fatehabad, Hisar, Jind, Yamuna Nagar, Sonepat and
Kaithal," a senior official of Haryana Transport Department
told PTI here.
He said employees have refused to join duty despite being
Striking employees of public transport service in Punjab
and Chandigarh have decided to keep the buses off the road
between 12 and 2 PM.
"We are trying to rope in workers on contract basis to
run buses in order to minimise inconvenience to public and
even persuading others to join duty," a senior official of
Punjab Transport department said.
Asked if ESMA would be invoked, senior officials of
Punjab and Haryana said no decision has been taken so far to
enforce the Act.
With major bank unions observing the strike, financial
transactions came to a halt in all the branches of public
sector banks. However, banking services in private sector
banks were not affected.
Bank unions have given a strike call, demanding tough
measures to recover bad loans and stop outsourcing of non-core
activities to private sector.
"There will be no transaction in banks today," said
Punjab Bank Employees Federation, Secretary Naresh Gaur.
Agitating bank employees also took out a rally in
Ludhiana to press for acceptance of their demands.
was the industrial sector of Punjab and Haryana
which bore the brunt of the strike with Industry representatives in Punjab and Haryana said
business was hit due to the strike in banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!