Students, police clash at ITI Hoshiarpur
Hoshiarpur (Punjab): Students of ITI Hoshiarpur
on Thursday clashed with police during a violent protest, demanding
financial assistance to one of their colleagues critically
injured in an accident recently.
Hundreds of students staged dharna and blocked traffic at
Prabhat Chowk here to protest against the district
administration not providing financial assistance of Rs 50,000
to the family of Jagtar Singh, who is admitted to a hospital
here in a serious condition, police said.
Singh was critically injured when a private transport bus
hit the motorcycle in which he along with two friends were
riding near ITI on Hoshiarpur- Jalandhar road on April 20.
While one of them died, the other escaped with minor injuries.
Soon after the accident, the students had protested but
later suspended their agitation when the authorities assured
financial assistance to the family of injured Jagtar Singh for
his treatment, students Union leader Sukhwinder Singh, who led
the protest, claimed.
However, the authorities failed to keep the promise, he
alleged while addressing the rally today.
Soon after his speech, the students became agitated and
pelted stone at the police personnel, who resorted to
However, no one was injured during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!