Students, police clash at ITI Hoshiarpur
Hoshiarpur (Punjab): Students of ITI Hoshiarpur
on Thursday clashed with police during a violent protest, demanding
financial assistance to one of their colleagues critically
injured in an accident recently.
Hundreds of students staged dharna and blocked traffic at
Prabhat Chowk here to protest against the district
administration not providing financial assistance of Rs 50,000
to the family of Jagtar Singh, who is admitted to a hospital
here in a serious condition, police said.
Singh was critically injured when a private transport bus
hit the motorcycle in which he along with two friends were
riding near ITI on Hoshiarpur- Jalandhar road on April 20.
While one of them died, the other escaped with minor injuries.
Soon after the accident, the students had protested but
later suspended their agitation when the authorities assured
financial assistance to the family of injured Jagtar Singh for
his treatment, students Union leader Sukhwinder Singh, who led
the protest, claimed.
However, the authorities failed to keep the promise, he
alleged while addressing the rally today.
Soon after his speech, the students became agitated and
pelted stone at the police personnel, who resorted to
However, no one was injured during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday