Students, teachers collect funds for girls` school renovation
Phagwara: Students and teachers of a girls` school here have taken it upon themselves to collect funds for the renovation of their school building, part of which had been declared unsafe by the Public Works Department.
Out of 25 rooms of Government Senior Secondary School for Girls, 18 had been declared unsafe by the PWD, school sources said today, adding one room had collapsed in February and the parapet of another had crumbled sometime ago.
The school authorities gave representation to the government and some political outfits even held protests seeking immediate renovation of the school, but to no avail.
Students and staff members of the school have now started contributing and collecting money for construction of a room.
"The students have contributed from their `golaks` (piggy banks) and pocket money... They will themselves be laying the foundation stone tomorrow," school principal Nirmal Singh said, adding "the staff members were also separately contributing for construction of another room".
Hearing this, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Santosh Chowdhary yesterday visited the school and interacted with students and teachers.
She announced to contribute Rs 10 lakh for construction of two more rooms.
The school is 70 years` old and has nearly 1,000 students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state