Sukhbir assails Centre on MSP
Chandigarh, Shiromani Akali Dal President and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal today slammed the UPA government for not raising the Minimum Support Price of wheat.
He termed the Centre`s approval of MSP for rabi crops and not of wheat as "illogical, anti-farmer and unjustified" and said it would further accentuate the woes of the beleaguered farmers.
Badal asked the Centre to immediately announce fixing of MSP of wheat at Rs 1800 per quintal to offset the recent massive increase in the farm inputs. He said the non-remunerative MSP and "anti-farmer" policies of the Centre were primarily responsible for the slowdown of agricultural growth.
Badal said that it was a high time for the Centre to fix the MSP by providing a margin of 50 per cent over the cost of production to farmers as suggested by renowned agricultural economist M S Swaminathan.
He also sought explanation from Centre as to why wheat was being imported at far higher prices than what was paid to farmers in India.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs last night approved up to 20 per cent hike in MSP for five rabi crops for 2013-14, but deferred a decision on wheat MSP in the wake of inter-ministerial differences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!