Sukhbir denies involvement of Akali leaders in Ludhiana brawl
Chandigarh: A day after a senior police officer was allegedly beaten up by three former youth leaders of the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Ludhiana, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Wednesday said that nobody is above the law irrespective of his position.
Referring to the Ludhiana incident, Badal said one of the accused in the case had already been arrested and the remaining will be behind bars by this evening.
"In the Ludhiana case, police took prompt action...An FIR was registered...It was an attack on an individual who was not in uniform," he said.
Urging media not to equate those involving in criminal activities with Akalis, he said "those indulged in attack with a cop at Ludhiana are not associated with Bikram Singh Majithia (Minister and brother-in-law of Sukhbir)."
He said the person involved in the attack was expelled from the party long time back.
Badal, who also holds the Home portfolio, said "between 400 to 500 murders takes place in a year in Punjab".
His remarks came days after he patted his police in Assembly claiming Punjab to be the "safest" place in the country and asserted that the ruling SAD is strongly against anti-social elements.
"Nobody is above law irrespective of his position," he said however, adding that "I don`t say crime rate is zero in Punjab."
A senior Punjab Police officer was allegedly beaten up by a leader of the state`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal`s youth front in a brawl at a private hotel at Ludhiana where the cop went to attend a Christmas-eve party with three of his friends and their families.
Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Counter Intelligence, Ludhiana, S S Mand belonging to Punjab Police Service (PPS) was injured when he intervened after his friend Paramjit Singh, an NRI, was allegedly attacked by the hotel owner Sunny Johar who is also Senior Vice President of Youth Akali Dal (YAD).
Police had registered a case under various sections of IPC, including attempt to murder, snatching and the Arms Act against Sunny Johar, Rishi Banda and Aman Inder Singh who is also a YAD leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA