Sukhbir gifts Rs 1 crore to Himachal school; slammed
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal is facing flak over giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to his alma mater - the Lawrence School - out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
Slamming Sukhbir Singh Badal’s decision, former Congress MLA, Sukhpal Singh Khaira, alleged that the Deputy CM had given a grant of Rs 1 crore to school in Himachal while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The state government, however, termed the charge levelled by Khaira as an effort by the Congress leader to remain in the limelight after losing the election.
Lawrence School is situated at Sanawar near Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh.
The controversy arose because the money was withdrawn from the funds allocated for the developmental schemes under the Punjab Nirman Programme and handed over to another state.
Khaira, who lost the Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, said he would move the High Court of Punjab & Haryana, if the grant was not withdrawn.
Sukhbir Singh Badal defended the grant by saying: "The Congress is making an issue out of it without any reason. The money is given to the school for a good cause”. Speaking at Sanawar on Thursday, Sukhbir also stated that Rs 1 crore grant was not from the Punjab Nirman funds.
Meanwhile, a Punjab government spokesman criticised the allegations levelled by Khaira, saying institutions like Lawrence School Sanawar belong to the nation and not to a particular state. The criticism reflects the "parochial mindset" of the Congress leader, the spokesman said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars