Sukhbir gifts Rs 1 crore to Himachal school; slammed
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal is facing flak over giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to his alma mater - the Lawrence School - out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
Slamming Sukhbir Singh Badal’s decision, former Congress MLA, Sukhpal Singh Khaira, alleged that the Deputy CM had given a grant of Rs 1 crore to school in Himachal while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The state government, however, termed the charge levelled by Khaira as an effort by the Congress leader to remain in the limelight after losing the election.
Lawrence School is situated at Sanawar near Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh.
The controversy arose because the money was withdrawn from the funds allocated for the developmental schemes under the Punjab Nirman Programme and handed over to another state.
Khaira, who lost the Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, said he would move the High Court of Punjab & Haryana, if the grant was not withdrawn.
Sukhbir Singh Badal defended the grant by saying: "The Congress is making an issue out of it without any reason. The money is given to the school for a good cause”. Speaking at Sanawar on Thursday, Sukhbir also stated that Rs 1 crore grant was not from the Punjab Nirman funds.
Meanwhile, a Punjab government spokesman criticised the allegations levelled by Khaira, saying institutions like Lawrence School Sanawar belong to the nation and not to a particular state. The criticism reflects the "parochial mindset" of the Congress leader, the spokesman said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1