Sukhbir gifts Rs 1 crore to Himachal school; slammed
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal is facing flak over giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to his alma mater - the Lawrence School - out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
Slamming Sukhbir Singh Badal’s decision, former Congress MLA, Sukhpal Singh Khaira, alleged that the Deputy CM had given a grant of Rs 1 crore to school in Himachal while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The state government, however, termed the charge levelled by Khaira as an effort by the Congress leader to remain in the limelight after losing the election.
Lawrence School is situated at Sanawar near Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh.
The controversy arose because the money was withdrawn from the funds allocated for the developmental schemes under the Punjab Nirman Programme and handed over to another state.
Khaira, who lost the Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, said he would move the High Court of Punjab & Haryana, if the grant was not withdrawn.
Sukhbir Singh Badal defended the grant by saying: "The Congress is making an issue out of it without any reason. The money is given to the school for a good cause”. Speaking at Sanawar on Thursday, Sukhbir also stated that Rs 1 crore grant was not from the Punjab Nirman funds.
Meanwhile, a Punjab government spokesman criticised the allegations levelled by Khaira, saying institutions like Lawrence School Sanawar belong to the nation and not to a particular state. The criticism reflects the "parochial mindset" of the Congress leader, the spokesman said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter