Sukhbir gifts Rs 1 crore to Himachal school; slammed
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal is facing flak over giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to his alma mater - the Lawrence School - out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
Slamming Sukhbir Singh Badal’s decision, former Congress MLA, Sukhpal Singh Khaira, alleged that the Deputy CM had given a grant of Rs 1 crore to school in Himachal while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The state government, however, termed the charge levelled by Khaira as an effort by the Congress leader to remain in the limelight after losing the election.
Lawrence School is situated at Sanawar near Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh.
The controversy arose because the money was withdrawn from the funds allocated for the developmental schemes under the Punjab Nirman Programme and handed over to another state.
Khaira, who lost the Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, said he would move the High Court of Punjab & Haryana, if the grant was not withdrawn.
Sukhbir Singh Badal defended the grant by saying: "The Congress is making an issue out of it without any reason. The money is given to the school for a good cause”. Speaking at Sanawar on Thursday, Sukhbir also stated that Rs 1 crore grant was not from the Punjab Nirman funds.
Meanwhile, a Punjab government spokesman criticised the allegations levelled by Khaira, saying institutions like Lawrence School Sanawar belong to the nation and not to a particular state. The criticism reflects the "parochial mindset" of the Congress leader, the spokesman said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation