Sukhbir non-committal on Badal becoming VP
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday remained non-committal on the possibility of his father and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal becoming the next Vice President of the country.
"The NDA leadership will jointly take a decision on the issue," he told reporters here when asked if Badal can become the next Vice President of the country.
He said "no formal meeting of NDA allies has taken place in connection with the consensus on name of Vice President."
"It will be a collective decision of the NDA leadership," he said adding that "at this moment it was too early to comment on the issue."
He, however, said that "the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) will give its view in the meeting to derive a consensus on the name of Vice Presidential candidate."
Reports said that Badal could be the probable candidate of NDA for Vice President`s post owing to various permutation and combinations being worked out for the presidential election to be held in July.
On dissenting notes emerging within BJP and its allies on the name of former President APJ Abdul Kalam for the post of next President, he said that "the SAD had not received any official communication on the name of Kalam from the BJP."
When pressed that senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar being averse to Kalam`s candidature, he said "it is the internal affair of NDA whom to be accepted or recommended for the post."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH