Sukhbir non-committal on Badal becoming VP
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday remained non-committal on the possibility of his father and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal becoming the next Vice President of the country.
"The NDA leadership will jointly take a decision on the issue," he told reporters here when asked if Badal can become the next Vice President of the country.
He said "no formal meeting of NDA allies has taken place in connection with the consensus on name of Vice President."
"It will be a collective decision of the NDA leadership," he said adding that "at this moment it was too early to comment on the issue."
He, however, said that "the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) will give its view in the meeting to derive a consensus on the name of Vice Presidential candidate."
Reports said that Badal could be the probable candidate of NDA for Vice President`s post owing to various permutation and combinations being worked out for the presidential election to be held in July.
On dissenting notes emerging within BJP and its allies on the name of former President APJ Abdul Kalam for the post of next President, he said that "the SAD had not received any official communication on the name of Kalam from the BJP."
When pressed that senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar being averse to Kalam`s candidature, he said "it is the internal affair of NDA whom to be accepted or recommended for the post."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'