Sukhbir non-committal on Badal becoming VP
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday remained non-committal on the possibility of his father and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal becoming the next Vice President of the country.
"The NDA leadership will jointly take a decision on the issue," he told reporters here when asked if Badal can become the next Vice President of the country.
He said "no formal meeting of NDA allies has taken place in connection with the consensus on name of Vice President."
"It will be a collective decision of the NDA leadership," he said adding that "at this moment it was too early to comment on the issue."
He, however, said that "the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) will give its view in the meeting to derive a consensus on the name of Vice Presidential candidate."
Reports said that Badal could be the probable candidate of NDA for Vice President`s post owing to various permutation and combinations being worked out for the presidential election to be held in July.
On dissenting notes emerging within BJP and its allies on the name of former President APJ Abdul Kalam for the post of next President, he said that "the SAD had not received any official communication on the name of Kalam from the BJP."
When pressed that senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar being averse to Kalam`s candidature, he said "it is the internal affair of NDA whom to be accepted or recommended for the post."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj