Sukhbir seeks Sarabjit`s release from Pak prison
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday made an impassioned appeal to Pakistan Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif to persuade his federal government to take positive steps for early release of Sarabjit Singh and other Indian prisoners in that country.
In a communique handed over to Sharif at Lahore, Badal said that people of Punjab and all Punjabis had very high hopes on his visit to Pakistan and they were eagerly awaiting positive outcome especially on Indian prisoners` issue.
He said that both Punjabs had taken very credible steps in normalising and strengthening trade and commerce ties and the positive gesture of Pakistan on Sarabjit, convict on death row, and other Indian prisoners would have a lasting impact on Indo-Pak ties.
Badal said that various NGOs of Pakistan and India were collectively working to pursue these cases and much progress has been made in the case of Sarbjit Singh but his release was withheld after some technical problems.
He, as per an official release here, was taking this opportunity to request Sharif to give a last push to this lingering issue between both Punjabs and requested the Federal Government to take concrete steps so that the innocent prisoners could be reunited with their families.
Badal said that history has given us an opportunity to rewrite relations between two Punjabs and he was sure that by taking positive steps on this issue, his efforts would be catalytic in further cementing ties.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in