Sukhbir should quit Home portfolio: Preneet Kaur
New Delhi: Alleging that police in Punjab is indulging in political activities for the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal, Union Minister Preneet Kaur today said Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal who also holds Home portfolio should quit if he cannot handle law and order in the state.
"If he can`t handle the state, he should quit," the Minister of State for External Affairs said when asked about demand from various quarters for Badal`s resignation in the wake of thrashing of a girl and her father allegedly by policemen in Tarn Taran.
The 22-year-old girl and her father were allegedly thrashed by policemen in full public view on March 3 when they sought action against some persons who teased the girl and passed vulgar comments.
"The police is indulging in political activities for the Akali Dal which is resulting in what we are finding a complete breakdown of law and order. Women are totally unsafe in Punjab," Kaur told reporters outside Parliament House.
Coming down heavily on the state government, the Congress leader said, Badal should stop "politicising every thing" and alleged that the Akalis "have corrupted entire political system" of Punjab.
The girl in her complaint had alleged that while she along with her father was coming home after attending a marriage function a truck driver and his accomplices started to tease her besides passing vulgar comments.
When she and her father approached the nearby police picket, both were beaten up by the policemen on duty, who allegedly let off the accused after accepting bribe, the girl alleged in her complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars