Sukhbir should quit Home portfolio: Preneet Kaur
New Delhi: Alleging that police in Punjab is indulging in political activities for the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal, Union Minister Preneet Kaur today said Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal who also holds Home portfolio should quit if he cannot handle law and order in the state.
"If he can`t handle the state, he should quit," the Minister of State for External Affairs said when asked about demand from various quarters for Badal`s resignation in the wake of thrashing of a girl and her father allegedly by policemen in Tarn Taran.
The 22-year-old girl and her father were allegedly thrashed by policemen in full public view on March 3 when they sought action against some persons who teased the girl and passed vulgar comments.
"The police is indulging in political activities for the Akali Dal which is resulting in what we are finding a complete breakdown of law and order. Women are totally unsafe in Punjab," Kaur told reporters outside Parliament House.
Coming down heavily on the state government, the Congress leader said, Badal should stop "politicising every thing" and alleged that the Akalis "have corrupted entire political system" of Punjab.
The girl in her complaint had alleged that while she along with her father was coming home after attending a marriage function a truck driver and his accomplices started to tease her besides passing vulgar comments.
When she and her father approached the nearby police picket, both were beaten up by the policemen on duty, who allegedly let off the accused after accepting bribe, the girl alleged in her complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family