Sukhbir Singh Badal for death penalty to rapists
Mohali: Amid nationwide outrage over the rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Monday advocated for death penalty to those convicted for rape cases.
"I support death penalty to those convicted in rape cases, especially the recent incident of Delhi where a five-year-old child was raped," he said.
The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) President said, "there should be detailed deliberations by the Congress led UPA government at the Centre with all the stake holders, including political parties" on demand of death penalty for rapists.
Badal was here to launch Mobile Women Commando Squads, claimed to be the first in the country, to curb crime against women, speed up police response in such cases, assist victims and bring perpetrators to book.
Flagging off the mobile team for all towns including Amritsar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Jalandhar and other cities, Badal said that the remaining cities would be covered within three months.
"We have given intensive training to Women Commandos so that can deal with any eventuality," Badal said.
The Deputy CM said that the pilot project of Women Armed Special Protection Squads (WASPS) launched last week in Bathinda was quiet encouraging as per the feedback received.
"Women are increasingly becoming confident to approach women commandos to report incidents of eve teasing and other crime against women and seeing the success of this pilot project, it is being replicated throughout the state," Badal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends