Sukhbir slams Rahul on "poverty" comment
Fatehgarh Sahib: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Wednesday slammed the recent statement of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on poverty where he termed it as "nothing but a state of mind," and said Rahul was oblivious about the ground situation in villages.
It was surprising that leaders, who have not fought even Panchayat elections during their life time were ruling the country and without any knowledge of ground situation they are framing policies sitting in air-conditioned rooms in Delhi, he told reporters here.
Indira Gandhi had given the slogan of `Gareebi Hatao` and now her grandson Rahul is tyring to remove the poor from the country`s map, he said, adding that closing one`s eyes to a problem does not solve it, but lingers its solution.
Badal accused the UPA government of deliberately creating a mining product crisis to defame the state government with an eye on polls.
The Union Environment Ministry at the instance of Punjab Congress was delaying environmental clearance of different mines to create an artificial scarcity of sand and gravel, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed