Sukhbir`s comment on power supply to Pak irrespons
Jalandhar: Punjab state unit of Congress Wednesday termed as "irresponsible" the statement made by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal that the state will supply power to neighbouring Pakistan by 2013.
Badal, who is on a visit to Pakistan, had yesterday said in Lahore that by 2013 his state will have enough surplus power to be able to provide electricity to Pakistan province of Punjab.
Terming Badal`s statement as "irresponsible", Congress said the state government should first fulfill power needs of their own people before extending support to the neighbouring country.
"The Deputy Chief Ministers`s statement is quite immature and irresponsible," Leader of Opposition in Punjab Assembly and Congress leader Sunil Jakhad said, adding there was still a huge gap between demand and supply of power in Punjab.
"Questions would be asked to Badal after he returns from Pakistan that on what basis he promised to supply power to the neighbouring country," he said.
Congress leader and former Chief Minister Rajinder Kaur Bhattal too criticised Badal and said "even by next three to four years I do not see surplus power supply in the state."
"Farmers are having a tough time and trade is also being affected due to lack of power supply in the state," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?