Take firms steps to curb drug smuggling: Badal to Centre
Sri Anandpur Sahib: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday asked the Centre to take effective steps to curb smuggling of narcotics into Punjab from across the border.
Addressing a gathering here at a function organised by the `Art of Living Foundation`, Badal expressed concern over the inflow of drugs into the state from across the border.
"The SAD-BJP government has already taken firm steps to control the drug menace and seized a huge quantity of drugs but the real problem persists across the border," he said.
Badal accused the Centre of not taking enough measures to deal with the issue seriously.
The open sale of poppy husk in neighbouring Rajasthan could also pose problems for Punjab, he said.
The Chief Minister said social maladies like drug addiction and female foeticide had crippled the society.
He said religious and social organisations should work in sync with the state government in eradicating the drug menace.
On the male-female child sex ratio in Punjab, the Chief Minister said it had improved from 798 in 2001 to 846 in `11.
"The government is striving hard to further improve it," he said.
Badal asked Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, founder of the foundation, to adopt some villages to develop them as model ones.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said he wanted to see Punjab as a drug-free state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read