Take firms steps to curb drug smuggling: Badal to Centre
Sri Anandpur Sahib: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday asked the Centre to take effective steps to curb smuggling of narcotics into Punjab from across the border.
Addressing a gathering here at a function organised by the `Art of Living Foundation`, Badal expressed concern over the inflow of drugs into the state from across the border.
"The SAD-BJP government has already taken firm steps to control the drug menace and seized a huge quantity of drugs but the real problem persists across the border," he said.
Badal accused the Centre of not taking enough measures to deal with the issue seriously.
The open sale of poppy husk in neighbouring Rajasthan could also pose problems for Punjab, he said.
The Chief Minister said social maladies like drug addiction and female foeticide had crippled the society.
He said religious and social organisations should work in sync with the state government in eradicating the drug menace.
On the male-female child sex ratio in Punjab, the Chief Minister said it had improved from 798 in 2001 to 846 in `11.
"The government is striving hard to further improve it," he said.
Badal asked Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, founder of the foundation, to adopt some villages to develop them as model ones.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said he wanted to see Punjab as a drug-free state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened