Tarn Taran case: HC orders transfer of 8 cops
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday ordered immediate transfer of eight police personnel in the assault case in which a girl was pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in Tarn Taran district.
Justice Ranjit Singh also directed the Amritsar Inspector General (IG) to ensure compliance of orders within 24 hours.
HC also directed Chandigarh UT IG to provide security to the victim for 24 hours.
The HC Judge has asked the Amritsar IG to inform the court tomorrow about providing further protection to victim and her family from cops other than Punjab police.
It may be recalled that the young woman was slapped, pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in uniform in Punjab`s Tarn Taran on March 3.
Four to five police personnel were caught on camera assaulting the young woman and her father after she reportedly complained to police against some taxi and truck drivers harassing her near a marriage hall in Tarn Taran district, 280 km from here.
Meanwhile, the police had arrested two accused police personnel involved in the case on March 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on