Tarn Taran case: HC orders transfer of 8 cops
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday ordered immediate transfer of eight police personnel in the assault case in which a girl was pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in Tarn Taran district.
Justice Ranjit Singh also directed the Amritsar Inspector General (IG) to ensure compliance of orders within 24 hours.
HC also directed Chandigarh UT IG to provide security to the victim for 24 hours.
The HC Judge has asked the Amritsar IG to inform the court tomorrow about providing further protection to victim and her family from cops other than Punjab police.
It may be recalled that the young woman was slapped, pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in uniform in Punjab`s Tarn Taran on March 3.
Four to five police personnel were caught on camera assaulting the young woman and her father after she reportedly complained to police against some taxi and truck drivers harassing her near a marriage hall in Tarn Taran district, 280 km from here.
Meanwhile, the police had arrested two accused police personnel involved in the case on March 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees