Tarn Taran case: HC orders transfer of 8 cops
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday ordered immediate transfer of eight police personnel in the assault case in which a girl was pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in Tarn Taran district.
Justice Ranjit Singh also directed the Amritsar Inspector General (IG) to ensure compliance of orders within 24 hours.
HC also directed Chandigarh UT IG to provide security to the victim for 24 hours.
The HC Judge has asked the Amritsar IG to inform the court tomorrow about providing further protection to victim and her family from cops other than Punjab police.
It may be recalled that the young woman was slapped, pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in uniform in Punjab`s Tarn Taran on March 3.
Four to five police personnel were caught on camera assaulting the young woman and her father after she reportedly complained to police against some taxi and truck drivers harassing her near a marriage hall in Tarn Taran district, 280 km from here.
Meanwhile, the police had arrested two accused police personnel involved in the case on March 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!