Tarn Taran incident: 2 police constables arrested
Tarn Taran (Punjab): Two policemen, accused of thrashing a girl who had approached them for help after being teased last week, were on Sunday arrested on the charge of assault and molestation.
Head Constables Karaj Singh and Davinder Singh were today arrested under Section 354, 323, 148 149, 506 of IPC and 3, 4 SC/ST Act for thrashing, molesting and making verbal personal attack on the girl, DIG (Border Range) Paramraj Umranangal told PTI.
However, the girl said that so far only two policemen were suspended and arrested "whereas there were total eight cops involved in the beating incident and all should be dismissed from services."
"The arrest of two policemen is not enough since I made demand for the arrest and dismissal of all the eight policemen. I would go on hunger strike from tomorrow (Tuesday) if my demands are not met," the victim said.
The girl in her complaint had alleged that while she along with her father was coming home after attending a marriage function on March 7, a truck driver and his accomplices started to tease her besides passing vulgar comments.
When she and her father approached the nearby police picket, both were beaten up by the policemen on duty, who allegedly let off the accused after accepting bribe, the girl alleged in her complaint.
Taking a strong view of the beating up of the girl, the Supreme Court today issued notice to Punjab government seeking its reply on the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof