Tarn Taran incident: 2 police constables arrested
Tarn Taran (Punjab): Two policemen, accused of thrashing a girl who had approached them for help after being teased last week, were on Sunday arrested on the charge of assault and molestation.
Head Constables Karaj Singh and Davinder Singh were today arrested under Section 354, 323, 148 149, 506 of IPC and 3, 4 SC/ST Act for thrashing, molesting and making verbal personal attack on the girl, DIG (Border Range) Paramraj Umranangal told PTI.
However, the girl said that so far only two policemen were suspended and arrested "whereas there were total eight cops involved in the beating incident and all should be dismissed from services."
"The arrest of two policemen is not enough since I made demand for the arrest and dismissal of all the eight policemen. I would go on hunger strike from tomorrow (Tuesday) if my demands are not met," the victim said.
The girl in her complaint had alleged that while she along with her father was coming home after attending a marriage function on March 7, a truck driver and his accomplices started to tease her besides passing vulgar comments.
When she and her father approached the nearby police picket, both were beaten up by the policemen on duty, who allegedly let off the accused after accepting bribe, the girl alleged in her complaint.
Taking a strong view of the beating up of the girl, the Supreme Court today issued notice to Punjab government seeking its reply on the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!