Tearful adieu to murdered Punjab cop
Amritsar: Mortal remains of ASI Ravinderpal Singh, who was shot dead two days ago while resisting harassment of his daughter, were on Friday consigned to flames in his native Rampura village of the district.
The pyre was lit jointly by deceased`s son Navpreet Singh and daughter Robanjit Kaur.
Senior police officers and politicians including Navjot Kaur Sidhu and MLA Dalbir Singh Ranike were present at the time of cremation in Chehertha area.
A contingent of Punjab Police fired volley of gun shots in the air and reversed the arms, in mark of respect to the departed soul.
Ravinderpal`s son Navpreet was in Australia when his father was killed on December 05 in full public view by a local SAD leader along with four of his accomplices.
The ASI was killed after he protested harassment of his 23-year-old daughter.
The Punjab government has issued order that the daughter of ASI may immediately be enlisted as Sub Inspector in the state police as a special case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj