Temperatures dip after rains lash parts of Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: The maximum temperatures on Tuesday dropped marginally in Punjab and Haryana as rains lashed a few places in the region.
Chandigarh, where some parts were lashed by light rains, recorded a high of 33 degree Celsius, down four notches, the MeT office said here.
Ambala, too, received light rains and the maximum temperature there settled at 33 deg C, also down four degrees.
Jagadhri, Yamunanagar, Bilaspur, Naraingarh and Panchkula were among other places in Haryana to be lashed by rains.
However, Hisar and Bhiwani continued to sweat it out recording respective highs of 40.5 deg C and 40.6 deg C.
Ludhiana and Patiala in Punjab recorded below normal maximums of 34.5 deg C and 34.3 deg C, but Amritsar was hot at 39.4 deg C.
Bathinda, Kapurthala, Mohali, Ferozepur, Pathankot, Jalandhar, Moga and Ropar were among the places in Punjab to be lashed by rains since Monday.
The MeT department forecast moderate to rather heavy rains or thunder shower may occur at a few places in both the states over the next two days.
Meanwhile, according to a Punjab Government release here, the water level in the Bhakra Dam today touched a level of 1599.92 feet against 1531.88 feet on the same day last year.
The water level of the reservoir was 68.04 feet more than as it was last year on the same day. The upper limit of the dam is 1680 feet.
However, the officials of the Bhakra Beas Management Board said that there was no cause of any alarm as this level was normal during the rainy seasons.
The release also said the water level of Pong Dam has been recorded at 1320.25 feet today, which is 23.94 feet more than it was recorded on the same day last year.
It further said that the inflow of water in the Bhakra was 52,128 cusecs against 42,501 cusecs recorded today last year and the release from the reservoir was 32,783 cusecs against 29,500 cusecs last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!