Ten sentenced to life imprisonment in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: A local court on Wednesday sentenced the ten persons to life imprisonment for murdering a woman and her three children in 2006.
Additional Session Judge Manjinder Singh passed the order sentencing all ten accused persons to life imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on each after finding them guilty of murdering Jaswinder Kaur along with her three children on October 7, 2006.
The convicted persons are : Balbir Singh, his brothers Daljodh Singh, Guru Singh, Veer Singh; Satwant Kaur, wife of Balbir Singh; Harminder Singh, his wife Pritam Kaur; Bhajan Kaur, Lakhwinder Singh and his wife Gurdip Kaur.
In case of non-payment of fine all the culprits have to undergo further one year imprisonment each.
According to the prosecution Veer Singh, who had been serving in the Indian Army, had a strain relation with his wife Jaswinder Kaur.
Jaswinder Kaur alongwith her three children was living separately at her in-laws` house at village Bhagran in the district. She was also getting maintenance allowance from the Indian Army.
Veer Singh had filed a false affidavit with the Indian Army in which he stated that his wife Jaswinder Kaur had solemnised her marriage with his brother Daljodh Singh, due to which her maintenance allowance had been stopped.
Jaswinder Kaur had filed a case in this regard.
This had enraged Veer Singh, who alongwith the other accused hatched a conspiracy to eliminate Kaur and her three children.
All the accused murdered Jaswinder Kaur and her three children Simranjit Singh (7), Antar (18 months) and Kamalpreet Kaur (9) on October 7, 2006 and later threw their bodies in the Shah Canal, near village Pandori in the district.
One accused Mohinder Kaur died during the trial of the case.
Talking to media persons, Jaswinder Kaur`s father Jagir Singh, said that though justice had been done, but keeping in view the heinousness of the crime capital punishment was required for all of them.
He would move to higher court for seeking death penalty to all the accused, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'