Ten sentenced to life imprisonment in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: A local court on Wednesday sentenced the ten persons to life imprisonment for murdering a woman and her three children in 2006.
Additional Session Judge Manjinder Singh passed the order sentencing all ten accused persons to life imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on each after finding them guilty of murdering Jaswinder Kaur along with her three children on October 7, 2006.
The convicted persons are : Balbir Singh, his brothers Daljodh Singh, Guru Singh, Veer Singh; Satwant Kaur, wife of Balbir Singh; Harminder Singh, his wife Pritam Kaur; Bhajan Kaur, Lakhwinder Singh and his wife Gurdip Kaur.
In case of non-payment of fine all the culprits have to undergo further one year imprisonment each.
According to the prosecution Veer Singh, who had been serving in the Indian Army, had a strain relation with his wife Jaswinder Kaur.
Jaswinder Kaur alongwith her three children was living separately at her in-laws` house at village Bhagran in the district. She was also getting maintenance allowance from the Indian Army.
Veer Singh had filed a false affidavit with the Indian Army in which he stated that his wife Jaswinder Kaur had solemnised her marriage with his brother Daljodh Singh, due to which her maintenance allowance had been stopped.
Jaswinder Kaur had filed a case in this regard.
This had enraged Veer Singh, who alongwith the other accused hatched a conspiracy to eliminate Kaur and her three children.
All the accused murdered Jaswinder Kaur and her three children Simranjit Singh (7), Antar (18 months) and Kamalpreet Kaur (9) on October 7, 2006 and later threw their bodies in the Shah Canal, near village Pandori in the district.
One accused Mohinder Kaur died during the trial of the case.
Talking to media persons, Jaswinder Kaur`s father Jagir Singh, said that though justice had been done, but keeping in view the heinousness of the crime capital punishment was required for all of them.
He would move to higher court for seeking death penalty to all the accused, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick