Ten sentenced to life imprisonment in Punjab
Hoshiarpur: A local court on Wednesday sentenced the ten persons to life imprisonment for murdering a woman and her three children in 2006.
Additional Session Judge Manjinder Singh passed the order sentencing all ten accused persons to life imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on each after finding them guilty of murdering Jaswinder Kaur along with her three children on October 7, 2006.
The convicted persons are : Balbir Singh, his brothers Daljodh Singh, Guru Singh, Veer Singh; Satwant Kaur, wife of Balbir Singh; Harminder Singh, his wife Pritam Kaur; Bhajan Kaur, Lakhwinder Singh and his wife Gurdip Kaur.
In case of non-payment of fine all the culprits have to undergo further one year imprisonment each.
According to the prosecution Veer Singh, who had been serving in the Indian Army, had a strain relation with his wife Jaswinder Kaur.
Jaswinder Kaur alongwith her three children was living separately at her in-laws` house at village Bhagran in the district. She was also getting maintenance allowance from the Indian Army.
Veer Singh had filed a false affidavit with the Indian Army in which he stated that his wife Jaswinder Kaur had solemnised her marriage with his brother Daljodh Singh, due to which her maintenance allowance had been stopped.
Jaswinder Kaur had filed a case in this regard.
This had enraged Veer Singh, who alongwith the other accused hatched a conspiracy to eliminate Kaur and her three children.
All the accused murdered Jaswinder Kaur and her three children Simranjit Singh (7), Antar (18 months) and Kamalpreet Kaur (9) on October 7, 2006 and later threw their bodies in the Shah Canal, near village Pandori in the district.
One accused Mohinder Kaur died during the trial of the case.
Talking to media persons, Jaswinder Kaur`s father Jagir Singh, said that though justice had been done, but keeping in view the heinousness of the crime capital punishment was required for all of them.
He would move to higher court for seeking death penalty to all the accused, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon