Ten years RI to Amritsar Rural SSP, three other cops
Patiala: A special CBI court here on Monday sentenced a Amritsar Rural SSP and three other policemen to 10 years rigorous imprisonment in an 18 year old illegal confinement case.
Preetpal Singh Virk, who is presently posted as Amritsar`s Senior Superintendent of Police (rural) was sentenced by a CBI court here in a case involving the illegal confinement and abduction of a youth of Sangrur district in 1993.
Besides Virk, the three awarded 10 years RI were Shamsher Singh, Avtar Singh and Balbir Singh.
Virk was also fined Rs 36,000 and three other policemen were fined Rs 26,000 each.
Two other policemen Rajinder Singh Sohal, presently DSP City Mohali and Ganda Singh were awarded three years RI by the CBI Judge Hemant Goyal here.
The duo was convicted on charges of illegal confinement and also fined Rs 8,000 each.
Tejinder Singh, a resident of Sangrur, his father Budh Singh and an acquaintance Joga Singh were allegedly kidnapped and kept in illegal confinement by the police from May 12, 1993.
Immediately after the decision four policemen who were awarded 10 years RI - Pritpal Singh Virk, Shamsher Singh, Avtar Singh and Balbir Singh were taken into judicial custody and sent to the Patiala jail.
While Sohal and Ganda Singh were released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’