Thanks to poll campaign, Diesel sales up in Punjab
Chandigarh: Diesel consumption has risen sharply by almost 13-14 per cent in the state this month, with poll candidates riding in fuel-guzzling sports utility vehicles (SUV) and top-end sedans followed by huge retinues as they campaign in their respective constituencies.
Fuel companies pointed out that against just 2-3 per cent
growth observed in monthly diesel during normal times, sales
of diesel have shot up by almost 14 per cent during the
election period, their highest level in the current fiscal.
Though officials in oil marketing companies pointed out
that several factors could be responsible for the surge in
diesel sales, like the number of vehicle additions per month,
they acknowledged that high usage of fuel in elections was one
of the primary reasons for the jump in diesel sales.
Indian Oil, which has an over 60 per cent share of fuel
sales in Punjab, has observed a 14.18 per cent jump in diesel
sales between January 1 and 17.
"We have seen a growth over 14 per cent in diesel sales
till January 17," an official of Indian Oil said.
The average monthly consumption of diesel in Punjab is
pegged at 2.68 lakh kilo litres.
However, petrol sales did not see any significant growth,
with sales increasing by just 1-2 per cent. Monthly sales of
petrol in Punjab amount to 73,260 KL.
The majority of poll candidates contesting the Punjab
Assembly elections own several luxury SUVs like the Toyota
Fortuner, Toyota Innova and Honda CRV, besides BMW and
Among the prominent candidates, it is People`s Party of
Punjab Chief Manpreet Singh Badal who has the largest fleet of
vehicles, followed by the Congress candidate from Ferozepur
Parminder Singh, sugar baron and Congress candidate Rana
Gurjit Singh and Shiromani Akali Dal candidate from Kapurthala
Sarabjeet Singh Makkar.
Punjab is an important market for every automobile maker,
with close to 500-600 vehicles including SUVs and sedans of
all brands costing above Rs 10 lakh sold every month across
Punjab. These vehicles constitute almost 15 per cent of total
car sales in Punjab, industry experts said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in