Three inmates escape from Gurdaspur Jail
Gurdaspur : Three inmates lodged in Gurdaspur Central jail escaped in the wee hours thursday by cutting the bathroom grill and scaling the outer wall of the prison.
Gurdaspur Jail Superintendent Shammi Kumar said five inmates had escaped, but two of them were apprehended.
The three Bikramjit Singh alias Bikki, Baljit Singh alias Ghulla and Manga Masih were involved in dacoity cases and were taken yesterday from Gurdaspur Jail to Phagwara for their appearance before a local court.
They had returned in a police van at about 7.30 PM yesterday.
As per preliminary inquiry, there could have been a lapse in their security check as all three probably carried sharp edged blades with which they cut the bathroom grills and managed to escape at about 2.30 AM with the help of their accomplices waiting outside the jail, Kumar said.
They scaled the wall with the help of a rope.
He said while three inmates managed to escape in the dark of the night, two others were nabbed when security personnel opened fire.
Efforts were on to trace them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi