Three inmates escape from Gurdaspur Jail
Gurdaspur : Three inmates lodged in Gurdaspur Central jail escaped in the wee hours thursday by cutting the bathroom grill and scaling the outer wall of the prison.
Gurdaspur Jail Superintendent Shammi Kumar said five inmates had escaped, but two of them were apprehended.
The three Bikramjit Singh alias Bikki, Baljit Singh alias Ghulla and Manga Masih were involved in dacoity cases and were taken yesterday from Gurdaspur Jail to Phagwara for their appearance before a local court.
They had returned in a police van at about 7.30 PM yesterday.
As per preliminary inquiry, there could have been a lapse in their security check as all three probably carried sharp edged blades with which they cut the bathroom grills and managed to escape at about 2.30 AM with the help of their accomplices waiting outside the jail, Kumar said.
They scaled the wall with the help of a rope.
He said while three inmates managed to escape in the dark of the night, two others were nabbed when security personnel opened fire.
Efforts were on to trace them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why