Three killed as truck falls into Punjab canal
Chandigarh: Three pilgrims were killed and 35 others injured when a truck carrying them fell into an irrigation canal in Punjab on Wednesday, police said.
The truck fell in the Sirhind Canal near Bhukomajra village of Ropar district.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Ropar town, 45 km from here.
The pilgrims were coming from the Naina Devi shrine in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh`s Bilaspur district and were headed for Ludhiana, police said.
A police official said the passengers were not only being illegally carried in the vehicle, it was also over-loaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Three-year-old boy, rescued from a borewell in Gwalior, declared dead by doctors
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS