Three killed as truck falls into Punjab canal
Chandigarh: Three pilgrims were killed and 35 others injured when a truck carrying them fell into an irrigation canal in Punjab on Wednesday, police said.
The truck fell in the Sirhind Canal near Bhukomajra village of Ropar district.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Ropar town, 45 km from here.
The pilgrims were coming from the Naina Devi shrine in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh`s Bilaspur district and were headed for Ludhiana, police said.
A police official said the passengers were not only being illegally carried in the vehicle, it was also over-loaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31