Three killed as truck falls into Punjab canal
Chandigarh: Three pilgrims were killed and 35 others injured when a truck carrying them fell into an irrigation canal in Punjab on Wednesday, police said.
The truck fell in the Sirhind Canal near Bhukomajra village of Ropar district.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Ropar town, 45 km from here.
The pilgrims were coming from the Naina Devi shrine in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh`s Bilaspur district and were headed for Ludhiana, police said.
A police official said the passengers were not only being illegally carried in the vehicle, it was also over-loaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport