Three killed as truck falls into Punjab canal
Chandigarh: Three pilgrims were killed and 35 others injured when a truck carrying them fell into an irrigation canal in Punjab on Wednesday, police said.
The truck fell in the Sirhind Canal near Bhukomajra village of Ropar district.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Ropar town, 45 km from here.
The pilgrims were coming from the Naina Devi shrine in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh`s Bilaspur district and were headed for Ludhiana, police said.
A police official said the passengers were not only being illegally carried in the vehicle, it was also over-loaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt