Three `Panch Pardhani` leaders released from jail
Patiala: Former General Secretary of Sikh
Students Federation Jaspal Singh Manjhpur and two other
activists of the Panch Pardhani were on Monday released from the
high security jail in Nabha area here.
Manjhput and the other activists - Palwinder Singh
Shutrana and Gurdeep Singh Raju - were released on bail
granted by Justice Ajay Tiwari of the Punjab and Haryana High
Manjhpur, who currently holds the office of media
secretary of SAD (Panch Pardhani), was arrested with party
chairman Daljeet Singh and others in August 2009 and was
facing charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act
He had contested the Punjab Assembly elections in 2007
from Tanda constituency on SAD (Amritsar) ticket.
"During eighteen months of our detention prosecution has
drastically failed to produce any thing incriminating against
us," said Manjhpur, alleging that charges were framed against
them solely to serve political ends of the ruling SAD (Badal).
He maintained that UAPA 1967, as amended in December
2008 after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, is masked revival of
black laws like TADA and POTA and is being misused to suppress
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!