Three `Panch Pardhani` leaders released from jail
Patiala: Former General Secretary of Sikh
Students Federation Jaspal Singh Manjhpur and two other
activists of the Panch Pardhani were on Monday released from the
high security jail in Nabha area here.
Manjhput and the other activists - Palwinder Singh
Shutrana and Gurdeep Singh Raju - were released on bail
granted by Justice Ajay Tiwari of the Punjab and Haryana High
Manjhpur, who currently holds the office of media
secretary of SAD (Panch Pardhani), was arrested with party
chairman Daljeet Singh and others in August 2009 and was
facing charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act
He had contested the Punjab Assembly elections in 2007
from Tanda constituency on SAD (Amritsar) ticket.
"During eighteen months of our detention prosecution has
drastically failed to produce any thing incriminating against
us," said Manjhpur, alleging that charges were framed against
them solely to serve political ends of the ruling SAD (Badal).
He maintained that UAPA 1967, as amended in December
2008 after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, is masked revival of
black laws like TADA and POTA and is being misused to suppress
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?