Three `Panch Pardhani` leaders released from jail
Patiala: Former General Secretary of Sikh
Students Federation Jaspal Singh Manjhpur and two other
activists of the Panch Pardhani were on Monday released from the
high security jail in Nabha area here.
Manjhput and the other activists - Palwinder Singh
Shutrana and Gurdeep Singh Raju - were released on bail
granted by Justice Ajay Tiwari of the Punjab and Haryana High
Manjhpur, who currently holds the office of media
secretary of SAD (Panch Pardhani), was arrested with party
chairman Daljeet Singh and others in August 2009 and was
facing charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act
He had contested the Punjab Assembly elections in 2007
from Tanda constituency on SAD (Amritsar) ticket.
"During eighteen months of our detention prosecution has
drastically failed to produce any thing incriminating against
us," said Manjhpur, alleging that charges were framed against
them solely to serve political ends of the ruling SAD (Badal).
He maintained that UAPA 1967, as amended in December
2008 after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, is masked revival of
black laws like TADA and POTA and is being misused to suppress
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why