Train engine catches fire, no injuries
Kapurthala (Punjab): The engine of a
Hoshiarpur-bound Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) train carrying 500
passengers caught fire on Jalandhar-Amritsar railway section
of Punjab on Saturday but a disaster was averted as the driver
stopped the locomotive as soon as he spotted the flames.
"The alert driver brought the train to a halt immediately
after the fire broke out near village Jairampur and nearly 500
passengers disembarked from the train," a railway spokesman
No loss of life or injuries have been reported, he said
adding rail traffic on the section remained disrupted for
two hours following the incident.
The train was going from Amritsar to Hoshiarpur via
Jalandhar, when the fire broke out.
Fire tenders from Kapurthala and Jagatjit Industries,
Hamira, took over an hour to extinguish the flames, the
The engine was at the back of the train and was badly
damaged, he said.
A railway engineer, who visited the spot, told media
persons that short circuit was the cause of the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling