Tributes paid to women victims of atrocities in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of local units of Tarksheel (rationalists) Society and Teachers Welfare Committee lit candles in local Town Hall to pay tributes to all the women victims of sexual violence including Delhi gang-rape victim.
They also took out a `mashal` (torch) march in the city last night to protest the growing incidents of crime against women, especially those belonging to the poor and lower middle class.
Addressing the protesters, Sukhdev Singh, a Taraksheel Society leader and Sadhu Singh Jassal, a teacher activist, said that the poor and lower middle-class women were not safe anywhere in the country.
"Goons are on prowl in the country targeting helpless women," they said and asserted that the real tribute to these victims lies in "uniting common man against all such riffraff of society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan