Tributes paid to women victims of atrocities in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of local units of Tarksheel (rationalists) Society and Teachers Welfare Committee lit candles in local Town Hall to pay tributes to all the women victims of sexual violence including Delhi gang-rape victim.
They also took out a `mashal` (torch) march in the city last night to protest the growing incidents of crime against women, especially those belonging to the poor and lower middle class.
Addressing the protesters, Sukhdev Singh, a Taraksheel Society leader and Sadhu Singh Jassal, a teacher activist, said that the poor and lower middle-class women were not safe anywhere in the country.
"Goons are on prowl in the country targeting helpless women," they said and asserted that the real tribute to these victims lies in "uniting common man against all such riffraff of society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth