Tributes paid to women victims of atrocities in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of local units of Tarksheel (rationalists) Society and Teachers Welfare Committee lit candles in local Town Hall to pay tributes to all the women victims of sexual violence including Delhi gang-rape victim.
They also took out a `mashal` (torch) march in the city last night to protest the growing incidents of crime against women, especially those belonging to the poor and lower middle class.
Addressing the protesters, Sukhdev Singh, a Taraksheel Society leader and Sadhu Singh Jassal, a teacher activist, said that the poor and lower middle-class women were not safe anywhere in the country.
"Goons are on prowl in the country targeting helpless women," they said and asserted that the real tribute to these victims lies in "uniting common man against all such riffraff of society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre