Tributes paid to women victims of atrocities in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of local units of Tarksheel (rationalists) Society and Teachers Welfare Committee lit candles in local Town Hall to pay tributes to all the women victims of sexual violence including Delhi gang-rape victim.
They also took out a `mashal` (torch) march in the city last night to protest the growing incidents of crime against women, especially those belonging to the poor and lower middle class.
Addressing the protesters, Sukhdev Singh, a Taraksheel Society leader and Sadhu Singh Jassal, a teacher activist, said that the poor and lower middle-class women were not safe anywhere in the country.
"Goons are on prowl in the country targeting helpless women," they said and asserted that the real tribute to these victims lies in "uniting common man against all such riffraff of society".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed