Truck union factions clash in Punjab; 3 injured
Moga (Pb): Two factions of a local truck union on Wednesday pelted stones at each other and fired shots over taking control of the truckers` body, leading to injuries to three persons, police said.
The clash took place between the groups owing allegiance to sitting SAD MLA Joginderpal Jain and former Punjab DGP P S Gill for taking control over the Moga truck union, they said.
Police intervention brought the situation under control, they said, adding that two of the three injured were in serious condition.
Both the groups accused each other of pelting stones and firing in the air, police said.
Alleging that Jain`s followers opened fire on them in which Harnek Singh received serious injuries, Gill`s supporters blocked national highway for two hours seeking action against them.
Both the factions are at loggerheads for the past over seven months to take control over the truck union.
During the clash, Gill was not present while Jain was at the spot.
Heavy police force had been deployed in Moga city in advance as it was apprehended that the two groups might clash with each other, police said.
The situation is under control and the matter is being probed, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur