Tussle between dalits, farmers over daily wages ends
Sangrur: A month-long tussle between dalits and farmers over daily wages in Mahasinghwala village here on Wednesday ended after intervention of the administration.
According to dalits, the farmers refused to employ them in their fields claiming they were demanding "exorbitant wages", and instead hired labourers from outside.
The dalits also alleged the farmers, who belong to the majority community, exercised their influence due to which they were not getting work during sowing of the paddy season in the neighbouring villages also.
A deputation of the dalit community on Friday presented a memorandum to Deputy Commissioner Kumar Rahul and sought his intervention to end the tussle.
Following the direction of the DC, Lehra SDM Subhash Chander intervened into the matter and convinced both the parties for a truce, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!