Tussle between dalits, farmers over daily wages ends
Sangrur: A month-long tussle between dalits and farmers over daily wages in Mahasinghwala village here on Wednesday ended after intervention of the administration.
According to dalits, the farmers refused to employ them in their fields claiming they were demanding "exorbitant wages", and instead hired labourers from outside.
The dalits also alleged the farmers, who belong to the majority community, exercised their influence due to which they were not getting work during sowing of the paddy season in the neighbouring villages also.
A deputation of the dalit community on Friday presented a memorandum to Deputy Commissioner Kumar Rahul and sought his intervention to end the tussle.
Following the direction of the DC, Lehra SDM Subhash Chander intervened into the matter and convinced both the parties for a truce, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred