Tussle between dalits, farmers over daily wages ends
Sangrur: A month-long tussle between dalits and farmers over daily wages in Mahasinghwala village here on Wednesday ended after intervention of the administration.
According to dalits, the farmers refused to employ them in their fields claiming they were demanding "exorbitant wages", and instead hired labourers from outside.
The dalits also alleged the farmers, who belong to the majority community, exercised their influence due to which they were not getting work during sowing of the paddy season in the neighbouring villages also.
A deputation of the dalit community on Friday presented a memorandum to Deputy Commissioner Kumar Rahul and sought his intervention to end the tussle.
Following the direction of the DC, Lehra SDM Subhash Chander intervened into the matter and convinced both the parties for a truce, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack