Two absconding criminals killed in police encounter
Bathinda (Punjab): Two of the three criminals, who had escaped from police custody after killing an escorting constable, were killed in a police encounter.
Kulvinder Singh and Nahar Singh were killed, while their third accomplice Jasvinder Singh managed to escape on a motorcycle, yesterday, ADGP (law and order) Dinkar Gupta told reporters here.
Two days back, the three criminals were being taken to Bathinda jail after they were produced at Panchkula court in connection with a case but they managed to escape from police custody after killing an escorting constable.
The two killed in the encounter were hardcore criminals and were part of an inter-state gang involved in criminal activities in Punjab, Rajasthan and Haryana, Gupta said.
Several criminal cases involving attempt to murder, dacoity, robbery etc had been registered against these two in various police stations, he said.
Police said they had also recovered some weapons from the accused.
According to Mansa SSP Narinder Bhargava, "A police party tried to intercept the three accused, who were on a motorcycle, at near minor canal bridge in Behniwal at Mansa past midnight last night. One of them fired at the police party. In the retaliatory action, two of the criminals died, while one managed to escape."
Meanwhile, Baldev Singh, father of Jasvinder, told reporters in Mansa that the district police had arrested him a day before and lodged him in CIA cell.
"The claims made by the police that the duo was killed in police encounter is false," he alleged.
However, police denied the allegations, saying there is no truth in the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP