Two Babbar Khalsa activists held with arms
Ropar: Police have arrested two alleged activists of Babbar Khalsa International and claimed to have foiled an assassination bid on controversial religious leader Baba Piara Singh Bhaniara.
Ropar SSP LK Yadav on Monday said a police party arrested Harminder Singh and Balwinder Singh near Bunga Sahib after getting specific information and recovered one 32 bore revolver, 10 live cartridges and some explosive material.
Yadav said preliminary interrogation revealed they were planning to kill Baba Piara Singh Bhaniara during his visit for court appearance at Ambala.
He said both were working under the guidance of Baljit Singh alias `Bhau`, who was lodged in Tihar Jail and making efforts to revive terrorism by recruiting youths on pretext of assuring the would be settled abroad.
The SSP said Balwinder had smuggled RDX in the form of `Burfi` in Burail Jail in 1997 on the directions of Beant Singh assassination case accused Jagtar Singh Hawara, while Harminder was involved in incidents of rifle and motorcycle snatching and a bank robbery attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr