Two Babbar Khalsa activists held with arms
Ropar: Police have arrested two alleged activists of Babbar Khalsa International and claimed to have foiled an assassination bid on controversial religious leader Baba Piara Singh Bhaniara.
Ropar SSP LK Yadav on Monday said a police party arrested Harminder Singh and Balwinder Singh near Bunga Sahib after getting specific information and recovered one 32 bore revolver, 10 live cartridges and some explosive material.
Yadav said preliminary interrogation revealed they were planning to kill Baba Piara Singh Bhaniara during his visit for court appearance at Ambala.
He said both were working under the guidance of Baljit Singh alias `Bhau`, who was lodged in Tihar Jail and making efforts to revive terrorism by recruiting youths on pretext of assuring the would be settled abroad.
The SSP said Balwinder had smuggled RDX in the form of `Burfi` in Burail Jail in 1997 on the directions of Beant Singh assassination case accused Jagtar Singh Hawara, while Harminder was involved in incidents of rifle and motorcycle snatching and a bank robbery attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH