Two cases against Namdhari in Punjab
Chandigarh: Two cases were on Sunday registered against former Uttarakhand minority panel chief SS Namdhari in Punjab for allegedly resorting to illegal means to obtain arms licences and passport in the state.
Passport of Namdhari, who is a resident of Bazpur in Uttarakhand, was impounded by the regional passport office in Jalandhar on November 27.
Persual of the report by Punjab`s Home Secretary prima facie leads to the conclusion that Namdhari "resorted to illegal means to provide fake residence proof(s) to obtain the arms licences and passport in Punjab", an official spokesman said here today.
The report recommended that a criminal case be lodged against the "fugitive" at state crime police station in Mohali and the accused be brought on production remand for investigation, the spokesman said.
Namdhari and his PSO, who were arrested for their alleged involvement in the killing of a controversial liquor trader and his brother in Delhi, are in judicial custody.
In another inquiry against Namdhari in connection with his having obtained a passport from Jalandhar, the probe charged him with giving "misleading" information and concealing information of about 13 criminal cases against him registered in Uttarakhand.
"Prima facie a criminal case be lodged against him to bring him on production remand for investigation purposes under the Indian Penal Code and the Passport Act," the report said.
The report said Namdhari "adopted illegal means to obtain a fake ration card to obtain the passport. In addition he did not disclose the factual position about the place of his residence and educational qualification.
"He also mis-stated his non involvement in criminal cases in Uttrakhand. Accordingly he has committed criminal offence in wrongly obtaining the passport from the Regional Passport Authority, Jalandhar," the report detailed.
"The two reports (regarding arms license and passport) had been submitted to Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal recommending registration of a criminal case against Namdhari," the spokesman said adding, further action as per the recommendation is being taken against Namdhari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...