Two policemen suspended in Punjab for thrashing girl
Chandigarh: Two police head constables were on Monday placed under suspension for allegedly thrashing a girl, who had resisted the arrest of her father by them in Tarn Taran district of Punjab.
Yesterday police got a call that few persons were creating "nuisance" after getting drunk at a marriage function at Gobindwal road, said SSP Kanwaljit Singh Dhillon.
Police personnel reached the spot and caught hold of Kashmira Singh and another person for creating nuisance, he said.
Singh`s daughter Harbinder Kaur (22) intervened and resisted while her father was being taken away to police station, the SSP said.
In the melee, the turbans (head gears) of two head constables were tossed up following which they beat the girl.
"It is unfortunate on the part of the police to hit a girl," the SSP said, adding that he had placed both Davinder Singh and Saraj Singh under suspension and marked a departmental inquiry against the duo.
However, he said that the other party had reached a "compromise" with the two cops.
"Still, the matter will be probed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users