Two policemen suspended in Punjab for thrashing girl
Chandigarh: Two police head constables were on Monday placed under suspension for allegedly thrashing a girl, who had resisted the arrest of her father by them in Tarn Taran district of Punjab.
Yesterday police got a call that few persons were creating "nuisance" after getting drunk at a marriage function at Gobindwal road, said SSP Kanwaljit Singh Dhillon.
Police personnel reached the spot and caught hold of Kashmira Singh and another person for creating nuisance, he said.
Singh`s daughter Harbinder Kaur (22) intervened and resisted while her father was being taken away to police station, the SSP said.
In the melee, the turbans (head gears) of two head constables were tossed up following which they beat the girl.
"It is unfortunate on the part of the police to hit a girl," the SSP said, adding that he had placed both Davinder Singh and Saraj Singh under suspension and marked a departmental inquiry against the duo.
However, he said that the other party had reached a "compromise" with the two cops.
"Still, the matter will be probed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details