Udey Singh new Namdhari sect chief
Ludhiana: Amid strong opposition, Thakur Udey Singh was installed as new head of the Namdhari sect at Bhaini Sahib, 35-km from here on Sunday.
He succeeded Satguru Jagjit Singh who died Thursday at the age of 92 in a private hospital here.
Udey Singh was declared as officiating administrator of the Namdhari sect by mata Chand Kaur, widow of Jagjit Singh, last Friday.
Earlier, a stiff opposition to Uday Singh`s nomination as successor to Jagjit Singh brewed up in the Namdhari sect.
Various Namdhari leaders from Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh met here in this regard.
Addressing mediapersons, Jaswinder Singh, chairman of the International Namdhari Sangat, declared they would not accept anyone other than Thakur Dalip Singh, brother of Udey, as head of the Namdhari sect.
He alleged Udey Singh was announced officiating head of the sect by Jagjit Singh under pressure.
Both Dalip Singh and Udey Singh are nephews of late Jagjit Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH