Udey Singh new Namdhari sect chief
Ludhiana: Amid strong opposition, Thakur Udey Singh was installed as new head of the Namdhari sect at Bhaini Sahib, 35-km from here on Sunday.
He succeeded Satguru Jagjit Singh who died Thursday at the age of 92 in a private hospital here.
Udey Singh was declared as officiating administrator of the Namdhari sect by mata Chand Kaur, widow of Jagjit Singh, last Friday.
Earlier, a stiff opposition to Uday Singh`s nomination as successor to Jagjit Singh brewed up in the Namdhari sect.
Various Namdhari leaders from Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh met here in this regard.
Addressing mediapersons, Jaswinder Singh, chairman of the International Namdhari Sangat, declared they would not accept anyone other than Thakur Dalip Singh, brother of Udey, as head of the Namdhari sect.
He alleged Udey Singh was announced officiating head of the sect by Jagjit Singh under pressure.
Both Dalip Singh and Udey Singh are nephews of late Jagjit Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash