Udey Singh new Namdhari sect chief
Ludhiana: Amid strong opposition, Thakur Udey Singh was installed as new head of the Namdhari sect at Bhaini Sahib, 35-km from here on Sunday.
He succeeded Satguru Jagjit Singh who died Thursday at the age of 92 in a private hospital here.
Udey Singh was declared as officiating administrator of the Namdhari sect by mata Chand Kaur, widow of Jagjit Singh, last Friday.
Earlier, a stiff opposition to Uday Singh`s nomination as successor to Jagjit Singh brewed up in the Namdhari sect.
Various Namdhari leaders from Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh met here in this regard.
Addressing mediapersons, Jaswinder Singh, chairman of the International Namdhari Sangat, declared they would not accept anyone other than Thakur Dalip Singh, brother of Udey, as head of the Namdhari sect.
He alleged Udey Singh was announced officiating head of the sect by Jagjit Singh under pressure.
Both Dalip Singh and Udey Singh are nephews of late Jagjit Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US