Undertrials escape from Amritsar central jail
Amritsar: Three under trials have escaped from the high security central prison here by breaking the iron rods of the jail barrack during midnight, police said Tuesday.
The three under trials were identified as Budhu Singh, Suraj Kumar and Narian Singh, who were arrested under NDPS Act and also involved in theft cases.
During the intervening night of January 7 and 8, three accused who were lodged in barrack number 6 first broke the iron rods and then detached the 30-feet-long water supply pipe and thereafter using the same pipe, they scaled the jail`s boundary wall and fled away, jail officials said.
Expressing shock over the incident, Amritsar Police Commissioner Ram Singh said, "It was strange that how three accused escaped from the high security jail amidst round the clock vigil."
He, however, said several police teams have been dispatched to search the fugitives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued