Union Minister releases stamp to mark 50 years of Bhakra Dam
Nangal: A stamp marking the Golden Jubilee of Bhakra Dam was on Tuesday released here by Union Minister Harish Rawat who said that the reservoir had brought about an agricultural transformation in states like Haryana and Punjab.
Speaking at a function organised by Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) to mark the Golden Jubilee, Rawat, the Union Minister of Water Resources, said, "Bhakra dam has played a major role in the country`s development and paved the way for the `Green Revolution` and transformed states like Punjab and Haryana into granaries of India".
The dam was dedicated to the nation by the then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru on this day in 1963.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, too, attended the function although his counterparts from Punjab and Himachal Pradesh skipped the event.
Rawat said that the Centre had earmarked Rs 60,000 crore for irrigation under the 13th Plan with seven projects planned for Punjab awaiting approval.
Complimenting the BBMB management for its work, Rawat announced an additional salary of two months for its employees.
BBMB Chairman AB Aggarwal said that the dam had changed the fortunes of the entire nation and was a living example of Nehru`s vision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued