Union Minister releases stamp to mark 50 years of Bhakra Dam
Nangal: A stamp marking the Golden Jubilee of Bhakra Dam was on Tuesday released here by Union Minister Harish Rawat who said that the reservoir had brought about an agricultural transformation in states like Haryana and Punjab.
Speaking at a function organised by Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) to mark the Golden Jubilee, Rawat, the Union Minister of Water Resources, said, "Bhakra dam has played a major role in the country`s development and paved the way for the `Green Revolution` and transformed states like Punjab and Haryana into granaries of India".
The dam was dedicated to the nation by the then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru on this day in 1963.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, too, attended the function although his counterparts from Punjab and Himachal Pradesh skipped the event.
Rawat said that the Centre had earmarked Rs 60,000 crore for irrigation under the 13th Plan with seven projects planned for Punjab awaiting approval.
Complimenting the BBMB management for its work, Rawat announced an additional salary of two months for its employees.
BBMB Chairman AB Aggarwal said that the dam had changed the fortunes of the entire nation and was a living example of Nehru`s vision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp