US court to hear human rights case against Badal
New York: The US federal district court of Wisconsin will hold an evidentiary hearing Thursday in a case of human rights violation filed against Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal by a Sikh rights` organisation.
Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) and Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) among others have accused Badal of custodial torture, shielding police officers responsible for torture, extra judicial killings and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab.
Badal`s attorney Michelle Jacobs has sought dismissal of the case due to lack of service based on the sworn statements of two State Department security officials that Badal was not present at Oak Creek High School on Aug 9 as claimed by the plaintiffs.
Judge Lynn Adelman has ordered an evidentiary hearing to resolve the basic jurisdictional issues relating to service of US Court summons on Badal and to examine the witnesses and evidence, according to SFJ.
He is also expected to rule on the complaint filed by some SAD members seeking US Court`s protection against Badal.
The complaint alleges that ever since the filing of human rights violation lawsuit , the Badal regime has unleashed a reign of terror and intimidation against the family members of plaintiffs living in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video