US court to hear human rights case against Badal
New York: The US federal district court of Wisconsin will hold an evidentiary hearing Thursday in a case of human rights violation filed against Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal by a Sikh rights` organisation.
Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) and Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) among others have accused Badal of custodial torture, shielding police officers responsible for torture, extra judicial killings and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab.
Badal`s attorney Michelle Jacobs has sought dismissal of the case due to lack of service based on the sworn statements of two State Department security officials that Badal was not present at Oak Creek High School on Aug 9 as claimed by the plaintiffs.
Judge Lynn Adelman has ordered an evidentiary hearing to resolve the basic jurisdictional issues relating to service of US Court summons on Badal and to examine the witnesses and evidence, according to SFJ.
He is also expected to rule on the complaint filed by some SAD members seeking US Court`s protection against Badal.
The complaint alleges that ever since the filing of human rights violation lawsuit , the Badal regime has unleashed a reign of terror and intimidation against the family members of plaintiffs living in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani