US court to hear human rights case against Badal
New York: The US federal district court of Wisconsin will hold an evidentiary hearing Thursday in a case of human rights violation filed against Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal by a Sikh rights` organisation.
Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) and Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) among others have accused Badal of custodial torture, shielding police officers responsible for torture, extra judicial killings and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab.
Badal`s attorney Michelle Jacobs has sought dismissal of the case due to lack of service based on the sworn statements of two State Department security officials that Badal was not present at Oak Creek High School on Aug 9 as claimed by the plaintiffs.
Judge Lynn Adelman has ordered an evidentiary hearing to resolve the basic jurisdictional issues relating to service of US Court summons on Badal and to examine the witnesses and evidence, according to SFJ.
He is also expected to rule on the complaint filed by some SAD members seeking US Court`s protection against Badal.
The complaint alleges that ever since the filing of human rights violation lawsuit , the Badal regime has unleashed a reign of terror and intimidation against the family members of plaintiffs living in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview