US embassy officials attend prayer ceremony for Sikh victims
Amritsar: Officials from the US Embassy in Delhi on Friday took part in a prayer ceremony held at the Golden Temple here in the memory of the six Sikhs killed by an alleged racist at a Wisconsin gurdwara on August 5.
Representative of US ambassador to India Nancy Powell, First Secretary, Political, Chad A Thornberry and A Sukesh, Advisor political affairs at the US Embassy attended the ceremony on the invitation of Shriomani Gurdwara Pharbandhak Committee (SGPC).
Addressing the gathering of Sikhs at Manji Sahib Diwan Hall in the Golden Temple complex, Thornberry expressed solidarity with the community and paid homage to the victims.
He also delivered the message of US Ambassador Nancy Powell, who expressed sympathy with the victims.
SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar said the security should be further tightened across Sikh religious shrines in the US so that there is no repeat of the Wisconsin gurdwara incident.
Makkar said assurance in this context was given to him by US envoy Nancy Powell during his recent visit to Delhi.
He informed that the SGPC would provide a financial assistance to the families of those killed in the incident.
Six people were killed in an attack on a gurdwara during prayers in Wisconsin by a one gunman who was also shot dead on August 5.
At least 20 people were also injured when a shooter opened fire indiscriminately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH