Wheat procurement dips in Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Procurement of wheat from Punjab
and Haryana, the bread baskets of the country, has come down
by 4.02 per cent and 7.04 per cent respectively in the ongoing
rabi marketing season (from April to September), due to the
heat-induced fall in yield.
Total wheat procurement for the central pool has reached
100.90 lakh MT in Punjab so far, against 105.13 lakh MT bought
in the corresponding period of the last season.
Similarly, in Haryana, procurement for the central pool
stands at 63.05 lakh MT so far, against the 68.10 lakh MT
lifted in the year-ago period, officials said.
Both states had scaled down wheat procurement estimates
in view of the heat wave that affected crop yields in March
Experts said that the abrupt rise in mercury levels
resulted in grains drying up. As a result, both the states
estimated a 2-3 quintal/hectare drop in wheat yield in
Punjab now expects wheat procurement of 102-103 lakh MT
against the projected lifting of 115 lakh MT, while Haryana
anticipates wheat-lifting to remain at 63.50-64 lakh MT as
compared to the earlier projection of 70 lakh MT.
Last season, Punjab and Haryana had broken all previous
records in terms of their contribution to the central pool, at
107.47 lakh MT and 69.24 lakh MT respectively.
The daily arrival of crop in grain markets has now
shrunk to 20,000 MT per day in Punjab and 6,000 MT in Haryana,
an FCI official said.
The share of private traders in total buying has also
been abysmally low, remaining at 0.4 per cent each in Punjab
and Haryana. Private traders bought just 48,742 MT in Punjab
and 2700 MT in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!