Why BJP silent on feting of terrorists` families b
Mumbai: NCP on Thursday questioned BJP`s silence on Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee felicitating the families of the assassins of General Arun Vaidya, and said the saffron party`s stand on terrorism was "opportunistic".
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik alleged that for BJP the fight against terror meant creating hatred for getting votes. "It maintains silence when it comes to taking a stand on the issue of terrorism in the states ruled by the party... SAD rules in Punjab in alliance with BJP," Malik said.
Vaidya, the Chief of Army staff during the Operation Bluestar in 1984, was assassinated in Pune in 1986 by Jinda and Sukha. The two were hanged in 1992.
Malik said SGPC`s act would strengthen terrorism.
The NCP spokesperson also condemned neighbouring Karnataka government`s decision to go ahead with inauguration of new Vidhan Soudha (Assembly building) in Belgaum, despite the Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary dispute (involving Maharashtra`s claim on Belgaum) being before Supreme Court.
"Our senior leader Chhagan Bhujbal had appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee not to attend the inauguration. The action of Karnataka government had hurt the sentiments of Marathi-speaking people," he said.
He rejected speculation about senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar`s absence at yesterday`s national convention of the party in Vadodara.
"Ajit Pawar has not been keeping well for the last two days. Sharad Pawar allowed him to stay away from meeting since he had viral fever," he said.
When asked in that case why did Ajit attend a party function here today, Malik said NCP state president Madhukar Pichad persuaded him to attend it.
Malik also urged the state government to expedite implementation of the decision of extending the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders from six to nine. NCP was not creating any hurdles in the decision-making, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!