Why BJP silent on feting of terrorists` families b
Mumbai: NCP on Thursday questioned BJP`s silence on Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee felicitating the families of the assassins of General Arun Vaidya, and said the saffron party`s stand on terrorism was "opportunistic".
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik alleged that for BJP the fight against terror meant creating hatred for getting votes. "It maintains silence when it comes to taking a stand on the issue of terrorism in the states ruled by the party... SAD rules in Punjab in alliance with BJP," Malik said.
Vaidya, the Chief of Army staff during the Operation Bluestar in 1984, was assassinated in Pune in 1986 by Jinda and Sukha. The two were hanged in 1992.
Malik said SGPC`s act would strengthen terrorism.
The NCP spokesperson also condemned neighbouring Karnataka government`s decision to go ahead with inauguration of new Vidhan Soudha (Assembly building) in Belgaum, despite the Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary dispute (involving Maharashtra`s claim on Belgaum) being before Supreme Court.
"Our senior leader Chhagan Bhujbal had appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee not to attend the inauguration. The action of Karnataka government had hurt the sentiments of Marathi-speaking people," he said.
He rejected speculation about senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar`s absence at yesterday`s national convention of the party in Vadodara.
"Ajit Pawar has not been keeping well for the last two days. Sharad Pawar allowed him to stay away from meeting since he had viral fever," he said.
When asked in that case why did Ajit attend a party function here today, Malik said NCP state president Madhukar Pichad persuaded him to attend it.
Malik also urged the state government to expedite implementation of the decision of extending the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders from six to nine. NCP was not creating any hurdles in the decision-making, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof