Why not death, apex court asks Hawara
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to Jagtar Singh Hawara, convicted for his involvement in the assassination of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh, on a plea by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) seeking enhancement of his life imprisonment term to death penalty.
Hawara was convicted by the trial court and awarded death sentence for his involvement in the assassination. However, the Punjab and High Court commuted the death sentence to life imprisonment.
An apex court bench headed by Justice BS Chauhan issued notice on CBI`s plea challenging the High Court order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane