Why not death, apex court asks Hawara
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to Jagtar Singh Hawara, convicted for his involvement in the assassination of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh, on a plea by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) seeking enhancement of his life imprisonment term to death penalty.
Hawara was convicted by the trial court and awarded death sentence for his involvement in the assassination. However, the Punjab and High Court commuted the death sentence to life imprisonment.
An apex court bench headed by Justice BS Chauhan issued notice on CBI`s plea challenging the High Court order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory