Widespread rains lash Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Moderate to heavy rains lashed most parts of Punjab and Haryana, raising humidity levels in the region and bringing down the temperatures.
Rain waters inundated all low lying areas of Punjab and Haryana, but also helped in improving the power situation in the twin agrarian states, officials said.
The rains drenched the region last night and this morning, the Met office said. Yamuna Nagar was received 200 mm rainfall, while Gurdaspur 112.2 mm, Sadura 84 mm, Hisar 44.4 mm and Sirsa 40 mm.
Among other places, Naraingarh received 38 mm of rains, Chandigarh 38.3 mm, Madhopur 67 mm, Chachchaurali 47 mm, Morni 20 mm, Ananadpur Sahib 9 mm, Ambala 13. 2 mm and Ropar six mm.
Intermittent rainfall also raised water levels in the rivers flowing through the two states, including Yamuna, Beas, Sutlej and Tangri. Water levels are below danger mark in the rivers and dams, including Bhakra.
Meanwhile, humidity levels touched up to 85 per cent in the region, the Met office said, adding that the maximum temperature plunged by up to five notches below normal at several places.
The Met forecast moderate to heavy rainfall at several places in the two sates during the next 48 hours.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks