Widespread showers lash Punjab, Haryana; delay harvesting
Chandigarh: Widespread rains have lashed several parts of Punjab and Haryana, delaying the harvesting of wheat in the twin agrarian states, considered to be the food bowl of the country.
While Rewari was drenched by 16 mm of rains last night, Tarn Taran received 9 mm of rainfall, the Met office said here today.
Among other places, Patti received 7.2 mm of rainfall followed by five mm at Kapurthala, 4.2 mm at Moga, 4 mm at Amritsar, two mm each at Ambala, Dhuri and Jalandhar and 0.2 mm at Chandigarh.
The rains were caused due to western disturbances over north Pakistan and its adjoining areas, the Met office said.
The rains will delay the harvesting process which is in progress in the states of Punjab and Haryana, Punjab Mandi Board Chairman Ajmer Singh Lakowal said.
"Now the thrashing of wheat will get delayed...But as far as the loss is concerned, its not large, its just minimal. However, once the crop gets dry and if there are high velocity winds, then there can be huge loss to the farmers," he said.
Farmers of the two states have already started bringing their wheat for procurement in the mandis.
Adequate arrangements of tarpuline covers to save wheat from getting wet have been made, officials said here.
However, mercury plummeted sharply after the showers that continued even today, making the weather pleasant, with reports of thunder and lightning received from some places.
But the inclement weather is giving sleepless night to farmers, especially wheat-growers.
Showers at this stage adversely affects both wheat harvesting and marketing operations, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India