Widespread showers lash Punjab, Haryana; delay harvesting
Chandigarh: Widespread rains have lashed several parts of Punjab and Haryana, delaying the harvesting of wheat in the twin agrarian states, considered to be the food bowl of the country.
While Rewari was drenched by 16 mm of rains last night, Tarn Taran received 9 mm of rainfall, the Met office said here today.
Among other places, Patti received 7.2 mm of rainfall followed by five mm at Kapurthala, 4.2 mm at Moga, 4 mm at Amritsar, two mm each at Ambala, Dhuri and Jalandhar and 0.2 mm at Chandigarh.
The rains were caused due to western disturbances over north Pakistan and its adjoining areas, the Met office said.
The rains will delay the harvesting process which is in progress in the states of Punjab and Haryana, Punjab Mandi Board Chairman Ajmer Singh Lakowal said.
"Now the thrashing of wheat will get delayed...But as far as the loss is concerned, its not large, its just minimal. However, once the crop gets dry and if there are high velocity winds, then there can be huge loss to the farmers," he said.
Farmers of the two states have already started bringing their wheat for procurement in the mandis.
Adequate arrangements of tarpuline covers to save wheat from getting wet have been made, officials said here.
However, mercury plummeted sharply after the showers that continued even today, making the weather pleasant, with reports of thunder and lightning received from some places.
But the inclement weather is giving sleepless night to farmers, especially wheat-growers.
Showers at this stage adversely affects both wheat harvesting and marketing operations, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'