Will be powerful voice of Amritsar in Delhi: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley faces a tough electoral battle in his maiden bid to enter Lok Sabha from Amritsar but is unfazed by his "reluctant" heavyweight opponent Capt Amarinder Singh as he claims the groundswell against Congress "adds to my confidence".
He dismisses criticism of his being an "outsider" saying Amritsar is one of the most hospitable cities in India and an Amritsari who goes to Delhi for work cannot be given that tag. He wants to be the powerful voice of the holy city in Delhi.
Jaitley also rejects any anti-incumbency against him in view of the complaints against his party colleague and sitting MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, who is out of the contest this time due to problems with ally Akali Dal.
Jaitley has some new plans for Amritsar, which has links to his grandmother, like opening of the Indo-Pak border trade, converting Amritsar as a tourism hub and Punjab as a whole as an educational and industrial centre.
"Amritsar is looking for a powerful voice at the Centre so that it can get its dues. It is with that hope that people look at me. And it is that factor singularly which gives me an advantage," he claims.
The 61-year-old eminent lawyer from Delhi says he is enjoying the electoral battle because he is in the driver`s seat this time even though he is not new to elections.
"It is for the Congress to decide who they want to field. To field a reluctant man is never a safe political strategy," he told PTI in an interview, rejecting any suggestion that he may not have bargained for a tough fight that the Amritsar battle has turned out to be.
"He (Amarinder) belongs to a party which has committed large number of improprieties and atrocities against the Sikhs. He can`t distance himself from that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced