Will prefer death to leaving Amritsar, says Navjot Singh Sidhu
Amritsar: Seeking to quell speculation, former cricketer and sitting BJP MP from Amritsar Navjot Singh Sidhu on Monday said he will never leave the city and will contest the next Lok Sabha polls from here.
There was speculation in media that Sidhu, the BJP`s star campaigner, may fight from Delhi (West) seat, which has a sizable chunk of Sikh population.
Sidhu said, "I will not go anywhere. If I contest election, it will only be from `Guru Nagri` (the holy city of Golden Temple). I will prefer to die rather contesting from any other parliamentary constituency except Amritsar."
"I have commitments towards people of Amritsar, as I am here to serve the `Guru Nagri` and my aim was never to mint money. I had stayed away from Amritsar for a few months to earn money while working in TV shows."
The former opening batsman alleged that there are people in "power corridor" who do not want to see him in Amritsar.
Without naming any person, Sidhu said,"There are a few people in power corridor who wanted that Sidhu should not contest elections from here as he could become minister.
"But I was never power hungry since politics is my passion not profession. I can serve my people without contesting elections and I will do it."
"I never sought party ticket; it was party which had chosen me to contest polls from Amritsar and I won it three times in a row....Not even a single person either from power corridor or individual can raise figure or hurl corruption charges on me. I am always answerable to my people and God," said Sidhu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh