Will try to get cancer institute for Punjab: Minis
Phagwara: Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Santosh Chowdhary said she will leave no stone unturned in getting a central institute of cancer for Punjab.
"If my efforts materialise, it will be set up in Hoshiarpur for the benefit of Doaba and Kandi areas and the neighbouring the hill states of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir," she told reporters here Saturday night.
Chowdhary maintained that the cost of cancer treatment was too high even for middle class, what to speak of the poor.
"The institute will provide cancer treatment at affordable cost to the poor," she said.
Replying to a question, she said officials have been asked officials to prepare a report on departmental grants sent to states and the amount spent or unspent, so that misuse of these central grants was checked and their optimum and judicious use ensured.
She agreed with allegations of state Congress leaders that central grants were being diverted for purposes other than what they were meant for.
To another question, the Minister said she will send directions to the SAD-BJP government for removing photographs of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal pasted on ambulances funded by Centre under the Ambulance-108 Scheme.
"Pasting of photographs ran counter to Central rules of the scheme," she said.
On Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s aerial survey of the calamity-hit areas of Uttarakhand, she said Modi was indulging in preposterous political posturing.
"No one should try to derive political mileage out of a calamity," she pleaded.
On Modi`s `Sankalp Rally` at Pathankot today, Chowdhary alleged that the BJP leader wanted to promote his political interests and fan fissiparous tendencies in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das