Will try to get cancer institute for Punjab: Minis
Phagwara: Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Santosh Chowdhary said she will leave no stone unturned in getting a central institute of cancer for Punjab.
"If my efforts materialise, it will be set up in Hoshiarpur for the benefit of Doaba and Kandi areas and the neighbouring the hill states of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir," she told reporters here Saturday night.
Chowdhary maintained that the cost of cancer treatment was too high even for middle class, what to speak of the poor.
"The institute will provide cancer treatment at affordable cost to the poor," she said.
Replying to a question, she said officials have been asked officials to prepare a report on departmental grants sent to states and the amount spent or unspent, so that misuse of these central grants was checked and their optimum and judicious use ensured.
She agreed with allegations of state Congress leaders that central grants were being diverted for purposes other than what they were meant for.
To another question, the Minister said she will send directions to the SAD-BJP government for removing photographs of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal pasted on ambulances funded by Centre under the Ambulance-108 Scheme.
"Pasting of photographs ran counter to Central rules of the scheme," she said.
On Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s aerial survey of the calamity-hit areas of Uttarakhand, she said Modi was indulging in preposterous political posturing.
"No one should try to derive political mileage out of a calamity," she pleaded.
On Modi`s `Sankalp Rally` at Pathankot today, Chowdhary alleged that the BJP leader wanted to promote his political interests and fan fissiparous tendencies in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!