Withdraw VAT on sugar: Cong MLA
Amritsar: Senior Congress leader and MLA Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa today said imposition of Value Added Tax (VAT) on sugar has turned bitter for people as prices have soared by 20 per cent in last one month in Punjab.
"Instead of providing relief to the public by reducing VAT on petrol or other goods, the Punjab Government is rubbing salt on wounds of the people by increasing VAT on Sugar, an essential commodity," he said.
Randhawa said that by imposing VAT on sugar, the Punjab government is contributing to the inflation and later blaming others for high inflation.
The SAD-BJP led Punjab government last month imposed Value Added Tax at the rate of 5 per cent on sugar and 10 per cent surcharge on the same to mobilise Rs 100 crore as part of its resource mobilisation exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed