Withdraw VAT on sugar: Cong MLA
Amritsar: Senior Congress leader and MLA Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa today said imposition of Value Added Tax (VAT) on sugar has turned bitter for people as prices have soared by 20 per cent in last one month in Punjab.
"Instead of providing relief to the public by reducing VAT on petrol or other goods, the Punjab Government is rubbing salt on wounds of the people by increasing VAT on Sugar, an essential commodity," he said.
Randhawa said that by imposing VAT on sugar, the Punjab government is contributing to the inflation and later blaming others for high inflation.
The SAD-BJP led Punjab government last month imposed Value Added Tax at the rate of 5 per cent on sugar and 10 per cent surcharge on the same to mobilise Rs 100 crore as part of its resource mobilisation exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report