Withdraw VAT on sugar: Cong MLA
Amritsar: Senior Congress leader and MLA Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa today said imposition of Value Added Tax (VAT) on sugar has turned bitter for people as prices have soared by 20 per cent in last one month in Punjab.
"Instead of providing relief to the public by reducing VAT on petrol or other goods, the Punjab Government is rubbing salt on wounds of the people by increasing VAT on Sugar, an essential commodity," he said.
Randhawa said that by imposing VAT on sugar, the Punjab government is contributing to the inflation and later blaming others for high inflation.
The SAD-BJP led Punjab government last month imposed Value Added Tax at the rate of 5 per cent on sugar and 10 per cent surcharge on the same to mobilise Rs 100 crore as part of its resource mobilisation exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing