Withdraw VAT on sugar: Cong MLA
Amritsar: Senior Congress leader and MLA Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa today said imposition of Value Added Tax (VAT) on sugar has turned bitter for people as prices have soared by 20 per cent in last one month in Punjab.
"Instead of providing relief to the public by reducing VAT on petrol or other goods, the Punjab Government is rubbing salt on wounds of the people by increasing VAT on Sugar, an essential commodity," he said.
Randhawa said that by imposing VAT on sugar, the Punjab government is contributing to the inflation and later blaming others for high inflation.
The SAD-BJP led Punjab government last month imposed Value Added Tax at the rate of 5 per cent on sugar and 10 per cent surcharge on the same to mobilise Rs 100 crore as part of its resource mobilisation exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes