Woman attempts suicide over dowry demands in Hoshiarpur
Hoshiarpur: A woman allegedly tried to commit suicide by setting herself ablaze after she was repeatedly harassed for dowry by her in-laws in Sham Chaurasi village here, police said on Friday.
22-year-old Mandeep Kaur suffered 85 per cent burn injuries and was admitted to a civil hospital here, they said.
Police has booked her husband Rakesh Kumar and mother-in-law under various sections of the IPC for allegedly demanding dowry.
Mandeep and Rakesh Kumar were married for two years. Police said Rakesh and his mother used to torture the victim to bring more dowry from her parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand