Woman attempts suicide over dowry demands in Hoshiarpur
Hoshiarpur: A woman allegedly tried to commit suicide by setting herself ablaze after she was repeatedly harassed for dowry by her in-laws in Sham Chaurasi village here, police said on Friday.
22-year-old Mandeep Kaur suffered 85 per cent burn injuries and was admitted to a civil hospital here, they said.
Police has booked her husband Rakesh Kumar and mother-in-law under various sections of the IPC for allegedly demanding dowry.
Mandeep and Rakesh Kumar were married for two years. Police said Rakesh and his mother used to torture the victim to bring more dowry from her parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi