Woman`s thrashing: Two policemen arrested in Punjab
Chandigarh: Two policemen allegedly involved in thrashing a young woman in full public view in Punjab`s Tarn Taran district last week were arrested Monday, a spokesman said here.
"The Punjab Police today (Monday) arrested head constable Devinder Kumar and constable Saraj Singh, who were charged of assaulting a woman in Tarn Taran on date March 3. The arrest has been ordered after receipt of enquiry report that was submitted by Superintendent of Police Ranbir Singh," the spokesman said.
The two have been booked for outraging the modesty of a woman, causing hurt and criminal intimidation.
The young woman was slapped pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in uniform in Punjab`s frontier district of Tarn Taran last Sunday (March 3).
Four to five police personnel were caught on camera assaulting the young victim and her father after she reportedly complained to police against some taxi and truck drivers harassing her near a marriage palace in Tarn Taran, 280 km from here.
The incident was recorded by a bystander on his mobile phone Sunday and was aired by TV news channels.
An embarrassed Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had last week ordered a magisterial probe into the incident. Badal directed the Tarn Taran district magistrate to ascertain the causes and circumstances which led to the incident and submit the inquiry report within three weeks.
"This was an unpardonable offence and anyone connected with this grave crime, howsoever influential he may be, would not be spared and brought to book as per the law of the land," he said.
Punjab Director General of Police Sumedh Singh Saini had, last week, suspended two policemen seen in the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested