Women Helpline receives 1.17 lakh calls in 5 months in Punjab
Chandigarh: The `181 Helpline`, started to help women in distress, has received 1.17 lakh calls within five months of its launch in Punjab.
Giving details about the helpline, Additional Director General of Police (ADGP-Security) Dinkar Gupta, said that out of the total 1.17 lakh calls about 38,000 calls were related to various police inquiries and suggestions, and about 54,000 calls were feedback and follow-up calls.
Reviewing the status of the Helpline here, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal expressed satisfaction that the `181 Scheme` had not only taken off timely, but had also received over one lakh calls.
Badal said he had himself checked satisfaction level of a number of complainants, all of whom had praised the service.
The ADGP said over 16,000 complaints were received on the Helpline, which were promptly conveyed to the concerned district police authorities for necessary action and were acted upon in a time bound manner.
Gupta said that since the launch of the the service, the satisfaction level of the citizens vis-a-vis police response had shown a steady increase from 70 per cent in September to 73 per cent in October, 74 per cent in November and December 2013 and finally to 78 per cent in
He said this helpline had made a significant contribution to the ongoing Punjab Police campaign regarding zero tolerance to crimes against women.
The majority of complainants pertained to domestic violence, dowry related harassment, obscene calls/SMS, rape and rape attempt, eve-teasing and sexual harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race