Women Helpline receives 1.17 lakh calls in 5 months in Punjab
Chandigarh: The `181 Helpline`, started to help women in distress, has received 1.17 lakh calls within five months of its launch in Punjab.
Giving details about the helpline, Additional Director General of Police (ADGP-Security) Dinkar Gupta, said that out of the total 1.17 lakh calls about 38,000 calls were related to various police inquiries and suggestions, and about 54,000 calls were feedback and follow-up calls.
Reviewing the status of the Helpline here, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal expressed satisfaction that the `181 Scheme` had not only taken off timely, but had also received over one lakh calls.
Badal said he had himself checked satisfaction level of a number of complainants, all of whom had praised the service.
The ADGP said over 16,000 complaints were received on the Helpline, which were promptly conveyed to the concerned district police authorities for necessary action and were acted upon in a time bound manner.
Gupta said that since the launch of the the service, the satisfaction level of the citizens vis-a-vis police response had shown a steady increase from 70 per cent in September to 73 per cent in October, 74 per cent in November and December 2013 and finally to 78 per cent in
He said this helpline had made a significant contribution to the ongoing Punjab Police campaign regarding zero tolerance to crimes against women.
The majority of complainants pertained to domestic violence, dowry related harassment, obscene calls/SMS, rape and rape attempt, eve-teasing and sexual harassment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know