Won`t rely on winning chances to choose poll candidates: Congress
Chandigarh: In a departure from the past, Congress is "seriously" contemplating a change in the party`s approach wherein winning prospects would no longer be the sole criterion for a candidate to be given a poll ticket.
"Top leaders (of the Congress) are serious about changing the line of winability adopted by it to select the party`s candidates for contesting elections at any level," All India Congress Committee member and former MP, Jagmeet Singh Brar, told a press conference here.
"Now, the winning prospects of a candidate will not be the only criterion, rather other aspects like his or her image, sincerity and commitment towards the party would also be taken into consideration while naming nominees for any polls," Brar said.
He said the party was also prepared to work out a "compromise" with other political outfits to forge electoral alliances before polls, he said.
Referring to the Moga bypoll, Brar said the Congress would have to compromise with the Left and the Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) to ensure defeat of the Akalis in the vote slated for February 23.
"The thin line for the Congress is that it must be together with like-minded political outfits in the larger interest of the country even if there are (certain) ideological differences," he said.
Citing a Supreme Court observation, made on January 17, that Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) are not "tamper proof", he urged the Election Commission to deploy new EVMs for the Moga bypoll fitted with the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail system.
The new machines have already been tested at about 18 polling stations in various parts of the country.
Brar claimed that the party was contesting the Moga bypoll
"unitedly" under the command of state Congress chief Amarinder Singh and was fully backing its candidate, Vijay Sathi.
The Moga seat fell vacant after two-time Congress MLA Joginderpal Jain left the party to join the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
He urged Sangha Morcha, an amalgam of various political outfits, including the Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) and the Left, to withdraw its nominee in favour of the Congress candidate, keeping in mind the larger interests of Punjab.
Claiming that Jain was facing criminal cases, Brar said the Congress was sure that top leaders of BJP, a SAD ally, would not approve of its candidate for the bypoll.
He described as a "big mistake" the move by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal to bring Jain into the SAD fold.
"It is the corrupt practices adopted by Sukhbir which win polls for him," he said, alleging that the top Akali leadership had poached Jain to get him to contest on a SAD ticket in total disregard of the Representation of the People Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp