Youth goes on shooting spree in Punjab
Mohali: He assaulted a man in this Chandigarh suburb and snatched his bicycle, fired at an unsuspecting girl on a scooty, held two guys at gunpoint for their vehicles, and finally managed to flee with a car while injuring two people -- all in matter of a few hours.
It all happened on Sunday evening when the man, in his mid-20s, suspected to be mentally unstable, went on a shooting spree. Though the stolen car was recovered from Kajheri village in Chandigarh on Sunday night, the identity of the accused is still unknown
"The accused stopped a Hyundai Accent in the middle of the road and raised a point 32 bore pistol towards its driver, telling him to come out. However, the driver, Gopal Verma, a retired government employee, refused to do so and tried to escape," police inspector Tarlochan Singh said.
"In the melee, the accused fired two gunshots and one bullet pierced through Verma`s arm but still he managed to flee away with his car. Immediately after this, he stopped another car and told its occupants to come out. While they were coming out, he fired on the thigh of a 16-year-old boy, who was sitting adjacent to the driver, and fled with the car."
The injured boy was identified as Mankirat Singh and was admitted in a private hospital here. Mankirat was travelling with his mother and sister.
The police inspector said that before attacking the occupants of the two cars, the accused had also assaulted a Nepalese man and snatched his bicycle. He had also fired at a girl but she managed to speed away on her scooty.
"It seems that this man was mentally unstable. We are conducting raids to nab him. Police suspect that he lives in Mohali at some paying guest accommodation," said Mohali district police chief Gurpreet Singh Bhullar.
Mohali is around 10 km from state capital Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray